WEP-related wifi bug

Malcolm malcolm.parsons at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 11:09:37 CEST 2007

On 22/09/2007, John S. Skogtvedt <teleledningsanka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Attached is a bzip2ed tarball with the following files:
>
> wnc_loadprofile_dhcp.pcap - freshly started DS, wnc, load profile - gets
> dhcp, no problems

There are 3 packets from a DS in this capture.
None of them are association requests or responses.

> wnc_loadprofile_dhcp-dec.pcap - the capture file ran through airdecap-ng

There are 3 packets from a DS in this capture.
None of them are association requests or responses.
All of them are DHCP.

> wnc_wfc_dhcp.pcap - freshly started DS, wnc, wfc - the channel isn't in
> wfc, so rc.d/network does a scan to find it. fails.

There are no packets from a DS in this capture.

> The router is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running OpenWRT on channel 13, but
> I've had the same problem on two different routers (on channel 1), one
> Philips and one Linksys. Captured with wireshark on a zd1211 device in
> monitor mode and with channel set to 13.
>
> Let me know if you need anything else.

As the association request and response packets are missing from the
first capture where it works, I can't tell whether they are missing
from the 3rd capture because the DS didn't send them or because your
hardware can't capture them.

--
Malcolm Parsons