Patch for dlditool

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Sun Oct 7 00:32:43 CEST 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 01:11:32PM +0000, Ewan Meadows wrote:
> Ah, I remember why.  I could never get the busybox gunzip and bzip2 to
> work properly (forking problems I think, although I've changed
> everything to vfork)  so I just ported the most recent versions
> instead and they work fine.
>
> Well, fine ish.  You have to use pipes to extract rather than tar zxvf
> foo.tar.gz otherwise it just appears to hang.

The busybox version we use is fairly old, you may be seeing bugs
in busybox tools that may have been fixed in current versions.
So we could also try a complete busybox update instead of porting
tools that duplicate functionality at the expense of RAM.

Remember that busybox tools are much more friendly towards people
who have little RAM. Standard GNU tools are not programmed with
little RAM in mind. Quite the contrary -- they are programmed more
along the lines of "cool in 5 years everyone will have tons of memory
or more than that even so let's use all the RAM we can get".
Quoting GNU coding standards:
"If a program typically uses just a few meg of memory, don't bother making
any effort to reduce memory usage."
(http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Memory-Usage.html)

Folks with little RAM may also want to update DSLinux from within DSLinux.

--
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0