Problems porting fbi

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Sat Sep 23 09:45:32 CEST 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 06:40:33PM -0400, Patrick West wrote:
> I finally did get it to compile by changing the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, I found
> these from a site on the net.
>
> CFLAGS        = -D__PIC__ -fpic -msingle-pic-base
> LDFLAGS        = -Wl,-elf2flt

Generally, you should not touch those in the Makefile
of the application at all. When you build along with the rest
of DSLinux, the flags will already be set globally.
It is therefore usually enough to just make sure that
the Makfile does not modify them in any way. (Of course
there are exceptions to this for special cases, but
those rarely apply.) The same applies for other common
make variables, such as CC, CPP, CPPFLAGS, AR, RANLIB etc.

> I think the reason it didn't down libjpeg from cvs was the because the
> snapshot I got from the wiki didn't have it so it didn't grab it. I had the
> romfs section wrong, I didn't have the /bin/ part.

Are you referring to
http://stsp.spline.de/dslinux/dslinux-head-snapshot.tar.gz ?

The snapshot only contains a standard checkout, and nothing
that resides on special branches. You need to manually merge
files and directories from other branches if you need them.
(Again, see http://www.dslinux.org/wiki/DSLinux_CVS for more
information if needed.)

> The problem is now that it just gives me a blank screen but I just noticed
> that it says it is only compatible with the "usual VGA graphics modes
>    only, i.e. packed pixels with 8 bpp pseudocolor and 16/24/32 bpp
> truecolor/directcolor"

:(

> I can see from fbset that the frame buffer is 256x192 but what color mode is
> it?

Wasn't it 8bpp? I'm not sure...

> I will have to do some debugging to find out where it is dieing.

And feel free to ask further questions if there is trouble!
It's always great to see that more and more people are putting
effort into DSLinux. Thanks.
--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0