Package management?

Toby Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 20:29:10 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 12:35 +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 09:44:30PM +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> > > I still think that sticking some hooks into the uClinux Makefiles
> > > to generate ipkgs would be less painful. The question is how to do
> > > this in detail, and how to limit conflicts with upstream as much as
> > > possible. I guess it should mainly be implemented in new files.
> > > Modifications of upstream Makefiles may be inevitable, but should
> > > be kept as small as possible.
> >
> > If I were to implement this, then this is probably the way I would go to
> > start with. However, moving to buildroot first might make life easier in
> > the future...
>
> ...given you design it so that merging new versions of upstream sources
> is still as (relatively) easy as it is today.

Looks like I'll be needing to do a lot of research...

> > I was also wondering whether we should have ipkg handle dependencies. If
> > so, then I would somehow need to compile a dependency tree. Any ideas?
>
> Wouldn't you simply tell each package which other package it
> depends on at package creation time? All package managers I've
> seen can handle dependencies automatically only at install time.
> At package creation time, you always need a human to specify
> dependencies.

Absolutely, although this was not what I was asking. I was wondering
whether we wanted ipkg to handle dependencies for packages that may be
included in the read-only image, or even packages in the base set. Also,
I may even get dependencies wrong!