Package management?

Toby Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 23:42:38 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 21:06 +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 07:42:23PM +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> > > Another option would be to modify the uClinux build system so it
> > > creates packages along with the root filesystem.
> > > I don't know how much work this would be. It would be optimal
> > > if the changes to the buildsystem were as small as possible,
> > > as we will likely import newer uClinux versions in the future.
> > > Diverging too much from upstream makes upgrading hard.
> >
> > From what it looks like, and I'm sure you know, this is probably too
> > much work.
>
> It may not be as much work as switching to a different
> buildsystem. But it may be hard to get right with minimal
> impact on what upstream provides.

We would need a method to convert the current Makefiles to the new
system. The best approach, surely, would have this task automated. I
don't know enough about buildroot, say - if we were to implement that,
to know if that is possible. However, if such a system could be
designed, then we could incorporate upstream changes quite effectively.
Patches for upstream, however, would need to be de-converted.
Nonetheless, if the conversion could be automatic, then I'm sure the
reverse could be too.