Package management?

Toby Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 19:29:54 CEST 2006

With the vast array of new applications the RAM extension allows for,
and the crudity of the uCLinux build system, I was wondering of the
possibility for, say, and apt package repository, that would contain
DSLinux binaries. This would enable people to download and install
packages on their DS, or to download the package on a PC and copy it
over. This is much more efficient than having everyone use a static
nightly build. I understand that if implemented, we should probably wait
until DSLinux has stabilised until we open the repository, or have an
unstable branch (like in Debian).

I would also suggest moving, as from CVS, from the uCLinux monolithic
build system, wherein everything is built at once, to a more dynamic
system, where any Makefile can be run without modification. Surely the
monolithic design was only needed when everything was built into one
image?

With both these changes, porting and installing software would become
much easier. Or are there some problems that I have overlooked, if so -
enlighten me!