GPM ported

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Nov 23 03:42:46 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:07:53AM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:21:01PM -0800, Troy Davis wrote:
> >    I still need some good ideas and probably some help with changing the
> >    touchpad mousedriver and/or using dpad/buttons for combination mouse
> >    buttons etc, to make this more functional.
>
> How much info do we get from the touchpad? Does it report how hard
> it was pressed? Or should we simply devide the screen into a left,
> right and middle pane (and maybe draw lines on the screen to make
> them visually distinct) to emulate 3 mouse buttons?

I find it silly just using a touchpad device to try and emulate a
mouse. The DS is a really unique device, what about writing some extra
code to set DSLinux appart as follows: make a 3rd mode for the touchpad
apart from keyboard and mouse modes. This mode would send to a device
other than psaux called 'touchpad' and programs would be able to upload
visual templates into the touchpad screen, or access it like a framebuffer
and draw on it. This way we could write apps that utilise the touchpad
the way it's meant to be used. It would enable us to create more 'pda'
like interactive apps instead of clumsily emulating a mouse and running
X. What do you guys think?

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx