Introduction & Some small patches

Tobias Gruetzmacher tobias at portfolio16.de
Mon Jul 3 23:17:02 CEST 2006

Hi again,

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:39:02PM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > (BTW: Is it ok to attach patches to this mailing list?)
>
> Yes it is. This way they are also archived automagically.

OK, my next patches will go to the list :)

> > 2. Remove a generated file from the repository. (Mathomatic man page)
>
> I wondered why you made a patch for this (since a cvs remove cannot
> really be "patched"), but your change to the Makefile makes it obvious.
> Thanks again.

Git generates these special patches for file removes... It puts a
"deleted file mode ...." above the diff.

> I really like its integrated sha1 features and resulting history consistency.
> Do you notice a difference in performance when, for example, running
> a diff command on the whole tree?

I think it is much faster then CVS. Offline work is also cooler since
you don't need write access to the "upstream" repository to make your
own branch and add/delete files/directories.

> By the way, did you use git-cvsimport with the anoncvs mirror
> as remote repository? If so, how did this perform (just curious)?

It took about 12 hours, give or take some, I think I was sleeping as it
finished ;)

> Did the CVS-->git conversion work well or were there any issues?

I think it worked well. If you want to try, I used:

git cvsimport -v -d :pserver:anoncvs at dslinux.spline.de:/cvsroot/dslinux
	-k -u -m -C dslinux.git dslinux

I got a couple of branches and about 36000 patchsets ;)

> wfcdump now works like this:
>
> Select wep key from default configuration (the first one):
>
> $ wfcdump wep
> 38a098e89f6c108fa83f9ab302
>
> Select ip, gateway, dns info and netmask from the third configuration:
>
> $ wfcdump -c 3 ip gw dns1 dns2 mask
> 104.203.0.4
> 104.1.1.1
> 104.100.110.70
> 104.100.110.71
> 255.0.0.0
>
> Should be fine for scripts, since they can simply do:
> 	essid="`wfcdump -c $c ssid`"
> 	wepkey="`wfcdump -c $c wep`"
> etc.

Ah, ok. My version of wfcdump just prints out all settings together, so
importing it into a shell is even easier:

$ wfcdump -c 1
essid="strangeap"
wepkey=<stuff>
ip=192.168.22.22
gateway=192.168.22.1
dns1=192.168.1.250
dns2=
netmask=255.255.255.0

$ wfcdump -c 2
essid="c4"
wepkey=
ip=
gateway=
dns1=
dns2=
netmask=

> > to configure the DSLinux networking from the WFC settings (I have a
> > local copy that does this, but I need to catch up with some changes in
> > the DSLinux CVS).
>
> If you have a patch for that, please send it.

Attached, see if you like it :) Makes network config really neat if you
have WFC configured. Maybe I can put together some nice detection code
that tries all 3 WFC configs... Just need to parse "iwlist scanning" and
compare with stored ESSIDs or write a dedicated tool... Having some
tools like sed or awk would me nice :)

> > PS: I also pulled up the wireless_tools to version 28 in my local copy,
> > but you probably want to do that with a branch, right?
>
> A patch against unmodified wireless_tools version 28 would still help.
> We will update the unmodified vendor version of it on its branch,
> and merge the patch into HEAD.

Sounds good, I see if I can put something together...

> > http://www.fli4l.de/ - ISDN- & DSL-Router on one disk!
> > Registered FLI4L-User #00000003
>
> Oh, I happily remember my fli4l days :) I switched the box to
> {Open|Net}BSD after a while though. Nowadays my routers run openwrt,
> which has its flaws but is the best system available for embedded router
> hardware :(

I'm still playing with the thought of porting fli4l on other hardware
then x86. x86 has the nasty limitation that the only embedded hardware
you get are WRAP and Soekris...

Greetings Tobi

--
GPG-Key 0xE2BEA341 - signed/encrypted mail preferred
My, oh so small, homepage: http://portfolio16.de/