DSLinux compiling and binary questions

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Thu Dec 5 13:59:39 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 08:20:13AM +0100, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * horak-fdf at web.de <horak-fdf at web.de> [2013-12-05 00:05:27 +0100]:
> > i wantd to compile dslinux because i need sbagen and lame on my ds
>
> Why would you need to *compile* DSLinux yourself for that? Just use
> one of the ready builds at [1] or [2].
>
>   [1] http://dslinux.org/builds/
>   [2] http://kineox.free.fr/DS/
>
> You merely want to cross-compile a single *application* for DSLinux,
> that doesn't mean you have to compile DSLinux as a whole. Just like
> when you're compiling something for your PC -- you don't have to
> recompile your whole kernel for that ;)

I think it's actually easier to build the whole tree, rather than
trying to cross-compile one application and copying it to an existing
dslinux install. Usually you'll need the C runtime and libraries etc.
cross-compiled as well so you can link the application. The full build
does that for you.

If memory serves me right, I built the most recent set of binaries
on Debian Squeeze. But it could also have been the Debian release
that came before squeeze. In any case, it was a Debian-stable system.

> That being said, I really doubt this is going to work. We're talking
> about 67 MHz of processing "power" and 18 MB of RAM (2 MB without an
> expension pack, which is _definitely_ not going to work).
>
> I remember this was enough to run ssh and some audio player back when
> I used DSLinux, but I guess there'll be no way SBAgen and lame will
> run.

Lame uses floating point instructions which are quite slow because
they are emulated in software. There is madplay in the builds already
to play mp3 files, which sort of works and doesn't use floating point.