DS Linux toolchain: unable to compile custom configuration

Ewan Meadows ewan.meadows at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:21:51 CEST 2011

I hate to say it, but personally I wouldn't use a Nintendo DS, let
alone DSLinux, as a stepping stone to iPhone development.  The
experience you will gain with DSLinux won't come in very handy for
iPhone development at all.

You'd be far, far better off learning C on a different platform that
is still being supported in my opinion.

But anyway....

> Ewan, I selected the DLDI build (because I want to have a writable
> home dir) and have included libnet and ncurses. I also have included
> the basic utilities: ls, ftp, ssh, wnc, etc...
I don't understand how you 'included' ftp/ssh etc as these are already
included.  To have these programs all you need to do is make
menuconfig, select the DLDI build and hit make.

With regard to libnet, you do realise that there is no libnet source
in the DSLinux tree, only the option in the menu to build it.  This is
because DSLinux's build system was inherited from another project.  If
you want to build libnet you'll have to download the source and put it
in the right place in the tree.

> I didn't select warp and playtzx, just the basic options in order to have a
> "standard" DSLinux build like the one available for download.
These apps are enabled by default in the DLDI build, I mentioned them
as they are not building correctly with later versions of make.

> Compiling small c code in the "make xsh" shell works, so I'm able to
> port small c applications that work in DSLinux. porting apps like
> "netdiscover" is a different thing, though.
The problem you are going to run into is that the libraries included
with DSLinux are getting very old now, so it's a lot of work to port
newer software.

Also you haven't mentioned whether you have got a supported GBA RAM
pack in Slot-2.  Without one of these you'll find DSLinux pretty much
useless as the kernel alone will take up most of the DS's 4MB RAM.

(lo stsp, pepsiman btw!)