DSerial EDGE support

Ewan Meadows ewan.meadows at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 23:03:36 CET 2008

I received my DSerial edge today and unfortunately it seems that it causes
Slot-2 RAM to not be detected, which is a shame.  I'll have a look to see if
I can figure out why, but I can't see anything obvious so far.  memtestARM
can be booted from the DSerial and recognises my Supercard properly.  I
added a few printk's to gbaram.c and I see the following:

http://dslinux.gits.kiev.ua/trunk/linux-2.6.x/arch/arm/mach-nds/gbaram.c

Memory management: Non-Paged(unused/noMMU)
DEBUG Activate RAM
DEBUG EZ Detect
DEBUG testram
DEBUG testram
DEBUG testram
DEBUG Testcard
DEBUG testram
DEBUG Testcard
DEBUG testram
DEBUG Testcard
DEBUG testram
DEBUG Testcard
DEBUG testram
Ignoring unrecognised tag 0x00000000

Basically it's either not sending the command out right to unlock it, or
when it goes to test it fails.  A good dmesg looks like this (Booted with
Acekard, Supercard SD in Slot-2):

Memory management: Non-Paged(unused/noMMU)
DEBUG Activate RAM
DEBUG EZ Detect
DEBUG testram
DEBUG testram
DEBUG testram
DEBUG Testcard
DEBUG testram
DEBUG Found RAM
Ignoring unrecognised tag 0x00000000

I've looked at the source of memtestARM and it appears to test in the same
sequence we do (ez, Supercard, m3, Opera, G6) so I'm getting a little
stumped.  Unsurprisingly a lot of source is shared with memtestARM and
linux-2.6.x/arch/arm/mach-nds/gbaram.c, so one would it expect it to work.

I spoke to natrium42 briefly on IRC and he mentioned that maybe we don't
setup registers properly?

Anyway, I'll carry on prodding, I'll have a lot of time being bored in hotel
rooms over January and February and I've got myself a few books to try and
learn a bit more, so hopefully I should be able to get rs232 possible.

Hope you all have a nice christmas/holidays/whatever the politically correct
phrase is nowadays

:-)