Nano-X speedup

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Fri Oct 5 15:39:46 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:19:28PM +0200, Amadeus wrote:
> Hmm. I am thinking of another approach...
>
> The internal programs are in romfs. romfs and kernel are packed together
> into dslinux.nds.
>
> So I think we can create TWO .nds files:
>
> dslinux.nds with maximum free space in internal RAM.
> dslinuxm.nds with more programs in internal RAM, assuming external RAM
> for comfortable working.

For this we need to teak the Makefile to create two .nds files.

So the Makefile would need to:

  * define a static list of known huge programs
  * create the big dslinux.nds
  * move known huge programs, if present, from romfs dir into linux dir
  * create the small dslinux.nds

Is an extra list of known huge programs more managable than
an extra build with a custom vendor config? I don't know.

I also think there are two issues here:

The first issue is speed of Nano-X.

The second is that I think that most people would like to boot
directly into the GUI by default once it is usable, but some purists
(like me ;) don't want that, or more seriously, we CANNOT do that
without making DSLinux unusable for people without RAM expansions.

I thought this would be a nice opportunity to address both
these issues in one go, with seperate builds being the obvious
solution, one with GUI and one without, and different rc.default
settings (start_pixil="YES" vṡ. start_pixil="NO").

> > While at it we could also get rid of the GBAMP* and DSMEM builds
>
> I don't care about them.

OK.

So even with another DLDIGUI build added it currently looks like
we'd only have four builds to maintain, with two of them needing
lots of attention (DLDI, DLDIGUI) and the other two (NDS, DSGBA)
not changing much at all anyway.

--
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0