Nano-X speedup

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Thu Oct 4 19:56:58 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 07:23:01PM +0200, Amadeus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have got a good speedup for nano-X if I place the whole nano-X server
> into internal RAM. This costs about 430K.

You mean you put the nano-X binary into romfs so it is XIP'd?

Or do you run flthdr -r on the binary? This, as far as I understand,
might still load the binary into external RAM, right?

> I am wondering if this is acceptable or not....

Obviously we should try not to waste RAM for people
who don't have a mem expansion and hence cannot
even run nano-X. If it's in romfs would it waste RAM for
those people? Or is the romfs mapped somewhere else than
internal RAM?

I suppose we could create two seperate DLDI builds:
DLDI and DLDIGUI

DLDI could still include large programs like links
but nothing related to nano-X. DLDIGUI could be made
to boot into the GUI directly once pixil is functional
enough for all I care.

While at it we could also get rid of the GBAMP* and DSMEM builds IMHO,
The GBAMP should be supported by DLDI (I guess) and the DSMEM build
is not much use unless there is still a single person on this
planet using a DSMEM (who would probably be on this list, so
raise your hand).

--
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0