Using toolchain outside of uClinux build system

Troy Davis gpf at dslinux.in-berlin.de
Wed Jun 13 16:57:06 CEST 2007

Quoting Benjamin Lewis <ben.lewis at benl.co.uk>:

> Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 08:14:08AM +0100, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> My GCSEs finish is just under a week so I've finally got some time to do
> >> something to do with DSlinux.
> >>

> > Great! Fix everything :)
> >

> oh, thanks!
> >> Hence I was wondering, as my understanding
> >> of Makefiles atm is pretty poor, would it be possible to use our
> >> toolchain outside of the uClinux build system? Obviously, one would
> >> still build apps for DSlinux, but could they be built independently of
> >> the kernel?
> >>

> > Well, possibly, yes, given that apps can stil find the bits of the
> > tree they need.
> >
> > You will need to point apps to the uClibc headers location.
> > And if an app uses kernel headers you'll have to have the
> > kernel source tree around anyway. If an app uses a library
> > you will need to point it to the location of the library
> > in the source tree, etc. etc. etc.
> >
> > But why do you want to do this? If you compile an app in-tree all
> > this and more is being taken care of for you already.
> >
> It would open up the ability to compile and package a single
> application, without having to compile the whole tree.
> > And you will need to read and/or write Makefiles either way.
> >
> I wanted to do this to to further my understanding of Makefiles
>
> --
>
> Benjamin Lewis
> Fedora Ambassador
> ben.lewis at benl.co.uk

> http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C
>
> "In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
>                                                         -- RFC 1118

You could use the cross-compilation shell,
http://www.dslinux.org/wiki/Porting_Howto#The_cross-compilation_shell

That allows you to go directly to your code directory and type make, without
having to build the entire dslinux codebase. After its built you can run
arm-linux-elf-flthdr -z filename
to compress it, now copy the file to your media and boot dslinux to test.

Troy