Using toolchain outside of uClinux build system

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Wed Jun 13 10:16:29 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 08:14:08AM +0100, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My GCSEs finish is just under a week so I've finally got some time to do
> something to do with DSlinux.

Great! Fix everything :)

> Hence I was wondering, as my understanding
> of Makefiles atm is pretty poor, would it be possible to use our
> toolchain outside of the uClinux build system? Obviously, one would
> still build apps for DSlinux, but could they be built independently of
> the kernel?

Well, possibly, yes, given that apps can stil find the bits of the
tree they need.

You will need to point apps to the uClibc headers location.
And if an app uses kernel headers you'll have to have the
kernel source tree around anyway. If an app uses a library
you will need to point it to the location of the library
in the source tree, etc. etc. etc.

But why do you want to do this? If you compile an app in-tree all
this and more is being taken care of for you already.

And you will need to read and/or write Makefiles either way.
--
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0