Ignoring files with global-ignores or svn:ignore

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Sun Jan 28 17:19:49 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 05:56:03PM +0100, Daniele Forsi wrote:
> There are some files that could be ignored globally (at least: *.a
> *.gdb .sgbuilt_user)

Yes.

> I read about "global-ignores" here
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.html#svn.advanced.confarea.opts.config

> IIUIC "global-ignores" is valid server wide (and set in the config
> file)

No, those are local settings per user:

[stsp at ted ~]$ grep ignore ~/.subversion/config
### Set global-ignores to a set of whitespace-delimited globs
### which Subversion will ignore in its 'status' output.
# global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store

> and about "svn:ignore" here
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.props.html#svn.advanced.props.special.ignore

> while "svn:ignore" is valid for a directory and its
> subdirectories (and set with "svn propset").

No, see footnote 34:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.props.html#id323232

> Comments?

Just stick the patterns you want ignored into ~/.subversion/config

As far as I can tell there is now way to set it on the server side
unless we add that property to *all* directories in the tree.
I don't really think this is worth it..

--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0