Importing uClinux-dist-20070130

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Sun Feb 4 17:38:36 CET 2007

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 04:34:24PM +0100, Daniele Forsi wrote:
> 2007/2/4, Stefan Sperling asked about dependencies:
>
> > > +liblzma
> a patched squashfs depends on this (the unpatched one would use gzip)
> http://www.squashfs-lzma.org/
> "Squashfs is a highly compressed read-only filesystem for Linux."
> I think it could replace the romfs, it would be slower but would free
> some internal RAM (when C++ is fixed)

Yeah, might be useful some day -> keep

> > > +lzo
> openvpn depends on this
> http://openvpn.net/
> "OpenVPN is a full-featured SSL VPN solution which can accomodate a
> wide range of configurations, including remote access, site-to-site
> VPNs, WiFi security, and enterprise-scale remote access solutions with
> load balancing, failover, and fine-grained access-controls"
> looks overkill
openvpn support in DSLinux would rock, but I don't know if
it is feasible -> drop lzo and openvpn until someone starts to work on it

> > > +osip2/
> siproxd depends on this
> http://www.fsf.org/software/osip/
> "Siproxd is a proxy/masquerading daemon for the SIP protocol."
> being a proxy I wouldn't import it

Yeah, that does not sound useful.

> And here are the contents of user/

> Looking at the names I know, I wouldn't import
> asterisk, bind, dnsmasq2, freeradius, lilo, lpr, mysql, snort, squid,
> udev and whetstone

OK.

> Before I look into all the other dirs, is there something else to drop?
>
> +aesperf/
Empty directory?
http://cvs.uclinux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/uClinux-dist/user/aesperf/

> +asterisk/ (no)
> +bind/ (no)

> +camserv/
Apparently an old video streaming app -> drop

> +clamsmtp/
ClamAV (virus scanner) related -> drop

> +conntrack/ (don't import)

> +ctorrent/
Discontinued (see http://ctorrent.sourceforge.net/) -> drop
We'd be better off with something like rtorrent probably (if a torrent
client is useful all).

> +dnsmasq2/ (no)

> +etherwake/
Wake on Lan client -> keep

> +fconfig/
What does this do?
Google suggests it's some flash bootloader utility or something
-> drop

> +flthdr/
Maybe useful to set -k flag on binaries at run time (for debugging).
-> keep

> +frox/
"transparent ftp proxy"  -> drop

> +gdb/
Does this version have a gdbserver with support for ARM CPUs?

> -init.org/
> +iperf/
Quoting http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/#whatis:
Iperf is a tool to measure maximum TCP bandwidth, allowing the tuning of
various parameters and UDP characteristics. Iperf reports bandwidth,
delay jitter, datagram loss.
--> keep, maybe someone has use for this.

> +jpegview/
Can't figure out which jpegview program this is.
If it uses the framebuffer, keep it. Else drop.

> +l7-protocols/
Level-7 filtering with iptables -> drop

> +lilo/ (no)

> +lm_sensors/ (see above)
See above where?

> +lpr/ (no)

> +lua/
scripting language, probably too heavy -> drop

> +mgetty/
Fax utlitity? -> drop

> +mysql/ (no)
> +nbench/
CPU benchmark tool, see http://www.tux.org/~mayer/linux/bmark.html
We already know our CPUs suck -> drop

> +net-snmp/
Does anyone need an snmp client? I guess someone may find use for this
if they are monitoring a network with snmp. -> keep

> +netperf/
Useful to measure wifi throughput -> keep

> +nooom/
Odd little tool:
http://cvs.uclinux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/uClinux-dist/user/nooom/no_oom.c?rev=1.1.1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

Can't really figure out what it's supposed to do.
Prevent apps from dying if they run out of memory? -> drop

> +openvpn/ (see above)

> +p7zip/
Quoting http://www.7-zip.org:
    * Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
    * Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
--> keep

> +pam_ldap/
> +pam_radius/
> +pam_smb/
> +pam_tacplus/
We don't use pam -> drop

> +pop3proxy/
LOL -> drop

> +quagga/
DSLinux will never be a router -> drop

> +radauth/
RADIUS client. I don't know if anyone can use this for anything -> drop

> +rrdtool/
Useful for routers, but not for DSLiunx -> drop

> +rsync/
May be interesting for people who want to sync data from their
desktops to DSLinux. If there was a howto on the wiki
for how to set the client and server up on a desktop and DSLinux,
I guess a few people would use this, esp. if we ever get something
that understands iCal and the like. The rsync server can run from inetd.
-> keep

> +samba/
Maybe samba works better than NFS? -> keep

> +shadow/
No need, we are insecure by definition -> drop

> +siproxd/ (see above)
> +snort/ (no)
> +squashfs/ (see above)
> +squid/ (no)

> +udev/
Does someone want to try to enable udev to get
around that read-only /dev problem with telnetd
and others? -> keep

> +ulogd/
> +ulogd2/
First hit on google:
"flexible framework for extensive logging of packets
on a firewall machine." -> drop

> +user.mak

Mmmh. They've changed the Makefile structure?
Oh well :(
Doing a full merge will probably be lots of work then...

--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0