Need help porting fbi (frame buffer image viewer)

John S. Skogtvedt jss2k2 at chello.no
Tue Apr 17 20:00:03 CEST 2007

I have partially working patch for fbi-1.23.

Problems:
* Fonts turn up as black squares
* Screen turns black if framebuffer depth is set to 16-bit (because the
last bit has to be 0?)
* 1.23 is very old. The newest is 2.06, but it depends on wchar so I
wasn't able to compile it. I also tried 1.31, which compiled but would
segfault when run ("BINFMT_FLAT reloc outside...").

Otherwise it works and displays images fine (although a bit slowly) with
a 8-bit framebuffer.

Can someone with more knowledge about the framebuffer help me out a bit?

To compile it:

Get
http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/pool/main/f/fbi/fbi_1.23.tar.gz

Apply attached diff, make xsh, cd user/fbi-1.23,
./configure --host=$CROSS --without-x, make

gunzip and copy over /usr/share/consolefonts/lat1-16.psf.gz to
/usr/share/consolefonts/lat1-16.psf

(Holding off on adding it to DSLinux in case there already is a
framebuffer image viewer hidden somewhere in the svn repository or
someone thinks it would be better to spend time getting a newer version
to work.)