Package management?

Tobias Gruetzmacher tobias at portfolio16.de
Wed Sep 6 20:08:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 06:29:54PM +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> With the vast array of new applications the RAM extension allows for,
> and the crudity of the uCLinux build system, I was wondering of the
> possibility for, say, and apt package repository, that would contain
> DSLinux binaries. This would enable people to download and install
> packages on their DS, or to download the package on a PC and copy it
> over. This is much more efficient than having everyone use a static
> nightly build. I understand that if implemented, we should probably wait
> until DSLinux has stabilised until we open the repository, or have an
> unstable branch (like in Debian).

Nice idea, but I probably would advise against apt here. It is a very
good package management system, but I think it is slightly overkill for
an embedded system (think: C++). I think using something like iPKG,
which is used for some of the *WRT distributions and PDA distributions.
See http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/Ipkg for details.

> I would also suggest moving, as from CVS, from the uCLinux monolithic
> build system, wherein everything is built at once, to a more dynamic
> system, where any Makefile can be run without modification. Surely the
> monolithic design was only needed when everything was built into one
> image?

There are still some targets which still have more restricted
environments, so it would be nice if we had a build system that could
build both, packages and statical images... Maybe some sort of build
tree that creates packages and extracts and merges them again if the
target does not have the possibility to use packages?

Even if we stay with a monolithic build system, I would much prefer
uclibc's buildroot or LNX-BBC's GAR over the current build system...

Greetings, Tobi

--
GPG-Key 0xE2BEA341 - signed/encrypted mail preferred
My, oh so small, homepage: http://portfolio16.de/