Dictionary Support for DSLinux

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Sun Oct 15 12:46:21 CEST 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 10:27:40PM -0700, Bradley Remedios wrote:
> Here is a patch that will add dictionary support to DSLinux.  You can
> also select which type of dictionary you want, american english or
> british english.
>
> This will take up approx 900KB of storage, and is required to run BSD
> Games::Hangman.
>
> https://www.jedacite.ca/files/dslinux.dictionary.jed.2006.oct.13.2006.diff.gz

I have questions:

1) There is a program called 'dict' in existence. It is a very useful
command line tool to query online dictionaries. I guess we should
reserve the user/dict directory for this. We could put your
dictionary files into user/words, or user/dict-words, for example.
Is that OK?

2) Am I reading this wrong, or does the romfs target below allow
only one dictionary to be installed? What about allowing
multiple dictionary files to be installed? Do programs using this
take an argument specifiying the dict file name?

(Now, if only FAT supported symbolic links :-/ )

romfs:
       $(ROMFSINST) -d -e CONFIG_USER_DICTIONARY_AMERICAN \
               /usr/share/dict/american-english
       $(ROMFSINST) -e CONFIG_USER_DICTIONARY_AMERICAN \
           -l /usr/share/dict/american-english /usr/share/dict/words
       $(ROMFSINST) -d -e CONFIG_USER_DICTIONARY_BRITISH \
               /usr/share/dict/british-english
       $(ROMFSINST) -e CONFIG_USER_DICTIONARY_BRITISH \
           -l /usr/share/dict/british-english /usr/share/dict/words

3) Since when is "AOL" a word?

from user/dict/american-english:
AOL
AOL's

Isn't AOL too easy to guess for hangman? :)

--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0