gcc 3.4 toolchain question

Bradley Remedios bremedios at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 22:33:32 CEST 2006

On 10/13/06, Amadeus <amadeus at iksw-muees.de> wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a 3.4 toolchain to work for
> > DSLinux or if I'm going to have to build my own.

I've actually decided to get QTopia to work on gcc-4.0, and it seems
to be done as I've gotten it to work against gcc-4.0 at least on my
host system.

> The gcc compiler for DSLINUX has a modified code generator to compensate
> for the lack of write strobes for the 32 MByte GBA ROM space as RAM.
>
> It took me 3 months to do this. Are you _really_ want to port this mod
> to 3.4?

No, I've decided against this.  Things should be moved up to 4.0
eventually anyways right.

> This is true. Qtopia is usable on devices with >= 200 MHz Clock.
> And 32 MByte RAM for CODE and DATA is very limited...

Well, at least QTopia 2.1.0 was supposed to be able to be ran in 24MB
of Ram.  It's true that it will be quite tight in the end but I'm more
worried about the processing power than memory.

> So I have decided to try PIXIL (www.pixil.org). It's not a good as
> Qtopia, but it will run fine on the DS. And if the core of PIXIL is
> running, we can add applets/programs/eye candy. I will be very glad if
> we can program together.

Yeah, I looked at Pixil and I will agree that it is a pretty good
starting point, especially as it doesn't have the same processing /
memory requirements as qtopia does.

So where are you in the whole porting effort, and what could I help
out with wrt Pixil.  I was originally going to start on Pixil until I
noticed that you were already working on it, so I would be happy to
work with you.

Because of that, I started to work on QTopia since I want to at one
time at least try it out on the DS (even if at the end its determined
to run to slow or not at all).

> I am able to compile and link PIXIL with DSLINUX, but the c++
> environment of DSLINUX is broken. Without a fix, you will go nowhere
> with Qtopia....

I've already noticed that actually, and have started to look into the
toolchain a little bit.

> The problem is, that the C compiler include files are modified, and are
> in the DSLINUX source directory.
>
> For C++, the C++ header files are copied into the DSLINUX source tree,
> but the gcc 4.0.2 c++ headers do not work with the (older?!?) C headers
> in the DSLINUX source tree. We will have to compare the headers and fix
> the issues.
>
> Compiling and linking with the unmodified C headers will lead to
> nonworking programs.

Since we both seem to have the same goals, maybe we can co-ordinate
our efforts.  I don't mind leaving QTopia for now if it means that we
can get a GUI up and running faster.

Regards,
--
Bradley Remedios