gpm / links -g

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Sun Nov 26 11:07:13 CET 2006

I'm replying here to a couple of questions GPF asked on IRC while
I was AFK, since he logged off immediately after asking them...

<GPFaway> ah ok the the second patch method would be easier

Indeed. :)

<GPFaway> but also need to change #define GPM_NODE_FIFO  _gPATH_DEV "gpmdata"
<GPFaway> to #define GPM_NODE_FIFO     "/var/run/gpmdata"

Yeah.

<GPFaway> also how do i reply to a maillist thread so its threading and
not just a new thread with the same subject ?

That depends on your mail reader. It should add an  In-Reply-To
header, which specifies the message ID the message you are replying
to, like this: In-Reply-To: <20061125072424.42710.qmail at web82413.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
Maybe there's an option in your mailer to enable this?

<GPFaway> also i tried to enable libpthread support and got this error
BINFNT_FLAT: reloc outside program 0x68ee2100 (0 - 0x3a1ed4/0x1c8420),
killing links! any ideas ?

I don't think we have pthread support. I guess kernel level threads
(pthreads are kernel level) need proper virtual memory, i.e. an MMU.
But I may be wrong.

<GPFaway> i think the next thing i have to work on with links -g, is the
fonts, I had to remove all but the smallest font to get it to work, so
all the font rendering is done by the same font which I think might be
the problem I haveing with missing fonts and other corruption

As long as everything is displayed that's fine.
We already have two browsers with fixed-size font, so a browser
with a fixed-sized font and images is better than what we currently
have.

<GPFaway> the graphics are all included in font_include.c, which by
default was over 2.5mb source which is included in arrays. Is there a
way to specify that they get stored in RAM memory and not in ds memory ?

I'm not sure, but I think that in the RAM build, the 4MB main memory
is only used by the kernel and whatever is in romfs. Links probably
won't use it.

<GPFaway> and also I have narrowed it down yet, but if I try to view a very large
graphic it can run out of memory and crash links and usually dslinux as
well

That's life without an MMU. Images consume an awful lot of memory.

  no MMU -> no paging -> things either fit in memory or they don't
  -> memory is not used as efficiently as on, say, a PC
  -> programs using lots of memory (e.g. for images) crash easily

32MB of RAM might sound sufficient for a PC, but on the DS memory
just does not scale the same way.

--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0