Introduction & Some small patches

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Mon Jul 3 21:39:02 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 05:53:15PM +0200, Tobias Gruetzmacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to DSLinux development. I think I may contribute one or another
> patch (and stupid idea ;) ) in the future. I'm starting with 3 small
> patches, which can be found here: http://portfolio16.de/tmp/ds/

cool.

> (BTW: Is
> it ok to attach patches to this mailing list?)

Yes it is. This way they are also archived automagically.

> The patches do the following:

> 1. Fix rc.d in some builds. The content of the CVS directory was copied.

Thanks.

> 2. Remove a generated file from the repository. (Mathomatic man page)

I wondered why you made a patch for this (since a cvs remove cannot
really be "patched"), but your change to the Makefile makes it obvious.
Thanks again.

> 3. Add support for setting DNS servers in the network config.

Great.

> The patches were exported from a local git repository which I generated
> by mirroring the DSLinux CVS. If there is interest in a public git
> mirror of the DSLinux code, I try to set something up. I'm still
> experimenting with git myself, so things may be broken (but the patches
> look alright to me ATM :)).

I also got quite interested in git since a couple of days.
Given the size of our tree, git may be much more efficient for us
than CVS. I am definitely considering switching to git in the long term.

I really like its integrated sha1 features and resulting history consistency.
Do you notice a difference in performance when, for example, running
a diff command on the whole tree?

The README inside the git source tarball is a worthwhile read btw.
Very technical, very good and made for curious people :)

By the way, did you use git-cvsimport with the anoncvs mirror
as remote repository? If so, how did this perform (just curious)?

Did the CVS-->git conversion work well or were there any issues?

> I also made some local changes to the wfcdump source to make it easily
> usable from the network configuration, but this program seems to be in
> flux, is there something planned with it?  IMHO the most useful output
> for the network configuration whould be direct "name=value" lines, so
> ypu can just do
>
> 	eval `wfcdump -c $wfc_config`

wfcdump now works like this:

Select wep key from default configuration (the first one):

$ wfcdump wep
38a098e89f6c108fa83f9ab302

Select ip, gateway, dns info and netmask from the third configuration:

$ wfcdump -c 3 ip gw dns1 dns2 mask
104.203.0.4
104.1.1.1
104.100.110.70
104.100.110.71
255.0.0.0

Should be fine for scripts, since they can simply do:
	essid="`wfcdump -c $c ssid`"
	wepkey="`wfcdump -c $c wep`"
etc.

> to configure the DSLinux networking from the WFC settings (I have a
> local copy that does this, but I need to catch up with some changes in
> the DSLinux CVS).

If you have a patch for that, please send it.

> PS: I also pulled up the wireless_tools to version 28 in my local copy,
> but you probably want to do that with a branch, right?

A patch against unmodified wireless_tools version 28 would still help.
We will update the unmodified vendor version of it on its branch,
and merge the patch into HEAD.

> GPG-Key 0xE2BEA341 - signed/encrypted mail preferred

I signed this one for you.

> http://www.fli4l.de/ - ISDN- & DSL-Router on one disk!
> Registered FLI4L-User #00000003

Oh, I happily remember my fli4l days :) I switched the box to
{Open|Net}BSD after a while though. Nowadays my routers run openwrt,
which has its flaws but is the best system available for embedded router
hardware :(

--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0