Fwd: DS-Xtreme Development Samples

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Sat Dec 9 14:45:44 CET 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 03:22:56PM +0000, Malcolm wrote:
> [...]

Hi,

> I couldn't find any email addresses on the DSlinux pages
> except this one. (if this is not received by a member of DSLinux please
> forward it to the correct person)

It was Malcolm's address and he forwarded your message to our
developer mailing list (dslinux-devel at dslinux.in-berlin.de).

> I am sure you have heard of the DS-Xtreme. Well we want to make
> sure you and your developers for DSlinux get the chance to
> work with DS-Xtreme also.

That is great.

> We strive to support the homebrew community and support
> everyone involved in the scene.
>
> DSLinux is amazing and we hope you keep up the great work
> (I am personally a great fan of the project)
>
> Please supply me with an address (or addresses) of your key
> developers so we can ship DS-Xtreme's to aid with your project
> development with DS-Xtreme

While this is a very nice and special offer (you are the first
hardware vendor ever offering us harware without us even asking for it),
I'm afraid we'll have to turn you down.

It seems that none of us is motivated enough to write a device driver
for an add-on device that does not offer additional RAM mapped in
GBA ROM space.

Since DSLinux has been able to use the RAM on devices such as
Supercard and M3, development has focused on features that rely
on the additional RAM. With 36MB of RAM total, DSLinux can run
much larger binaries, which made it possible to include https
support in our browser, for example.

While we still maintain builds for the GBA Movie Player and flashcarts,
which lack the additional RAM, we strongly encourage our users to get
a device with on-board RAM to use DSLinux at its full potential.
The "legacy" builds have some serious drawbacks, such as programs
crashing often simply because they run out of memory.

Thanks again anyway for your generous offer, it is very much appreciated!
If you ever come up with a device that has RAM mapped in GBA ROM
space, let us know. We'll definitely want to support that.

cheers,
--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0