auto login / remote logins / multi user

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Mon Aug 14 20:25:55 CEST 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 05:16:02PM +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:
> What about storing username/password in SDRAM?

Pepsiman suggested the obvious on IRC:

<pepsiman_> just make /etc/passwd a symlink

If we did this, we would still have a couple of
options regarding permissions:

We can mount vfat filesystems with file and directory
permissions set to 777 so any user can access /etc/passwd,
their /home directories and anything else on vfat.
The benefit is that this allows people to change the default
password to prevent others from logging in remotely without
having to guess a password.

We can mount vfat filesystems with file and directory
permissions set to 770 so any user in a certain group can access
/etc/passwd, their /home directories and anything else on vfat.

We can mount vfat filesystems with file and directory
permissions set to 700 so no user but root can access
/home directories and anything else on vfat.
/etc/passwd is writable by root only.

I guess vfat permission behaviour should be configurable
in /etc/rc.conf, with 777 as default...

--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0