auto login / remote logins / multi user

Tobias Gruetzmacher tobias at portfolio16.de
Sun Aug 13 20:51:18 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 07:17:14PM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> The only problem I see with the current implementation of things
> is that we'd lose the wonderful /etc/issue on bootup if we switched
> from [/usr]/bin/agetty to /bin/sh in /etc/inittab. The obvious
> workaround of having the shell issue file is trivial to implement
> though.

So replace agetty with a shell script that cats the /etc/issue and then
execs a shell.

> This would make multi-user support available instantly.
> Going multi-user would of course defeat auto login from
> /etc/inittab again.

I'm not very familiar with the exact concept of the hardware, but I
thought since the DS has no MMU there is no memory protection and
therefore every user can always access the whole memory so a "root
exploit" would be trivial? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that
defeat the purpose of a multi-user-system?

> Does anyone have a good idea how to resolve this mess?

In case I'm wrong above, there is another solution: Put an overlay over
the FAT filesystem which emulates UNIX permissions. Since UMSDOS is
quite dead, using FUSE would probably be an option, but someone would
have to write the fuse-permission-emulator...

Greetings, Tobi

--
GPG-Key 0xE2BEA341 - signed/encrypted mail preferred
My, oh so small, homepage: http://portfolio16.de/